Bad news, guys. African rhinos are in trouble. In addition to the habitat loss that endangers a wide range of species, the rhino’s threat is its particularly valuable horn. Sadly, poachers can fetch huge sums of money for rhino horns on the black market in East Asia, where the horns are believed to possess medicinal powers.
And now, the good news: we can help! Travelers Building Change is a movement that has rallied over 120 travel bloggers and over 20 eco-conscious travel brands to raise money to airlift rhinos from poaching danger in South Africa to highly protected areas in Botswana. The goal is $45,000 – the cost of successfully translocating just one rhino and re-integrating it in a new habitat.
I’m one of 120 bloggers posting these majestic rhino photos with a giant DONATE button to help save them. I’ve also clicked that DONATE button myself, giving $20 of support. The way I see it, writing is the first step, but it’s not enough. We need to reach this goal of $45,000. If the participating bloggers each donate $20 themselves, then we’re at least $2,400 closer to that goal.
So where do the travel brands come in? They’re making it even more compelling for the rest of us to donate by offering some amazing prize incentives. My $20 gets me 10 raffle entries to win, and I can allocate them toward whatever prizes are most eye-catching to me. The more you donate, the more raffle entries you get per dollar. The travel contest addict in me will probably be back with more donation money for more entries soon enough.
Here’s what I’ve got 10 entries (so far) to win:
– International Expeditions–
10-day Galapagos Voyage for one. Value $5,298
– Adventure Life–
South Africa Big Five Safari: Kruger & KwaZulu-Natal + Swag Bag for 2 people. Value $5000
– Cobblers Cove Hotel, Barbados-
Seven nights bed and breakfast in a Garden View suite. Value $5,187
– Yemaya Island Hideaway & Spa, Nicaragua–
10 nights’ stay & wellness package for two people at Yemaya Island Hideaway and Spa on Little Corn Island, Nicaragua. Value $5,241
– Secret Retreats–
• Vouchers for 2 people at Bali Jiwa Villain in Bali, Indonesia. Value $1,000
• (2) Vouchers for 2 people at The Scent Hotel in Koh Samui, Thailand. Total Value $3000 ($1,500 for each 2-person package)
• Vouchers for 2 people at 4 Rivers Floating Lodge, Koh Kong, Cambodia. Value $900
• Vouchers for 2 people at Flower Island, Palawan, Philippines Value $900
• eBag Luggage
• WeWOOD Watches
• Dinner/Brunch Cruises
• 2 nights in an Italian Villa
• 2 Tours in India
• ExOfficio Gift Certificate
• 2 nights Renaissance Asheville
• Travel Blog Success Lifetime Membership
• African Elephant Photo Pack
• HDR Timelapse Video Camera w/Lens
• Blogger Mentorship Package from Green Global Travel
Contest details: Travelers Building Change will be awarding contest entries to donors through the end of February, 2015. Winners will be announced on March 3 (World Wildlife Day).