Check it out – I’m an educator. After almost a year of developing an online course for the Certificate in Community-Based Development through Village Earth and Colorado State University, the 5-week course begins next week. It’s called Community-Based Tourism Development, and I’m pretty excited about it.
Here’s the syllabus:
Week 1: Introduction to tourism and theoretical frameworks
- Tourism within the context of globalization and free-trade economics
- Tourism within the alternative framework of sustainable rural livelihoods
1) An Overview of Tourism. Rethinking Travel and Ecotourism, second edition. Deborah McLaren, 2003.
2) Tourism and Economic Development, A Survey. The Journal of Development Studies. M Thea Sinclair, 1998 (ONLY Sections I and VI, intro and conclusion)
3) Sustainable Rural Livelihoods: A Framework for Analysis. Institute of Development Studies Working Paper 72. Ian Scoones, 1998
Optional: Authenticity, Giving Back, and the Awkward Case of Indigenous Tourism. Daniel Kreuger, Adventure Travel News. January 18, 2012.
Week 2: Community-based tourism labeling and certification
- Meanings of labels like ecotourism, responsible tourism, sustainable tourism, community-based tourism, and pro-poor tourism.
- Pros and cons of ecotourism certification
- Ecotravel Issues for a New Century. Rethinking Travel and Ecotourism, second edition. Deborah McLaren, 2003.
- Global Sustainable Tourism Criteria. The Global Sustainable Tourism Council, Oct 2008
- Raising the Standards and Benefits of Sustainable Tourism and Ecotourism Certification. The Sustainable Tourism Stewardship Council, March 2003
- Nine Labels for Ethical Travel. Tourism Review. Cynthia Ord, 2011
Week 3: Case studies and examples of community-based tourism
- Examples of well-implemented community-based tourism “success stories”
- Examples of community-based tourism case studies under critique
Choose TWO of the following affirmative case studies:
a) Brenu Beach Resort, Ghana. Michael Kweku Commeh and Nico Schulenkorf. Innovation for Sustainable Tourism: International Case Studies, Chapter 8, 2008
b) Wenhai Ecolodge, Northern Yunnan, China. Ginger Smith and Jiayi Du. Innovation for Sustainable Tourism: International Case Studies, Chapter 8, 2008
c) Indigenous Communities and Tourism: The Benefits of Co-management in Chile. Marcela Torres. The Travel Word, 20 December 2011.
d) Community agency and sustainable tourism development: the case of La Fortuna, Costa Rica. David Matarrita-Cascantea, Mark Anthony Brennanb and A.E. Luloff. The Journal of Sustainable Tourism, 19:7, 2011
Choose TWO of the following critical case studies:
a) Issues from community-based ecotourism in the Bouma National Heritage Park, Fiji. Trisia Angela Farrelly. The Journal of Sustainable Tourism, 18:6, 2010
b) The community participation process in ecotourism development: a case study of the community of Sogoog, Bayan- Ulgii, Mongolia. Sebastien Nault a & Paul Stapleton, The Journal of Sustainable Tourism, 19:6, 2011
c) Barriers to community capacity building for tourism development in communities in Shiraz, Iran. Fariborz Aref, The Journal of Sustainable Tourism, 19:3, 2010
d) Tourism in Maasai communities: a chance to improve livelihoods? Katherine A. Snyder a & Emmanuel B. Sulle. The Journal of Sustainable Tourism, 19:8, 2011
Optional: VIDEO Bhutan – Tourism and Development
Week 4: Critical approaches to community-based tourism development
- Arguments against community-based tourism initiatives
- Should a community have the right to refuse tourism completely?
- A critical look at community based tourism. Kirsty Blackstock, Community Development Journal, Vol 40 No 1 2005
- Pro-poor Tourism: a critique. David Harrison, Third World Quarterly. Vol 29, No 5, 2008.
- The Possible Negative Impacts of Volunteer Tourism. Daniel A. Guttentag. The International Journal of Tourism Research, Vol 11 2009
- Amazon Town Bans Tourists. Tony Muse, The Guardian. 25 March 201l.
Week 5: Resources, student-led discussion, assignment
- What have been the positive and negative impacts of tourism in your community/destination of interest?
- Propose a community-based tourism initiative for your destination of interest